Planet Peace: Akira’s Story

By Debbie Coq

Akira was a beautiful baby girl. She was born within the water family. Her mother, Leta, and her father, Argus, saw a lot of potential in her. When she turned seven-years-old, the family would go together to a blessing ceremony so she could receive her powers.

A seven-year-old Akira stood outside the water temple. The water temple was a holy place. It was in the center of the water family’s village, connected to all the other family temples such as the fire, plant, land, and lightning people. Within the temple, there were rooms where the leaders of the family would meet
and plan to better Planet Peace.

Akira was nervous. “Kira,” Argus said. “Relax. We talked about this. Breath in, breath out,” he says modeling for her. Akira breathed in and breathed out.

Leta walked up to her and knelt in front of her. She held her hand out to hold Akira’s. With her other hand, she moved it toward the nearby fountain. The water floated over her to her, then hovered over her hand. Akira watched with amazement.

Leta, Argus, and Akira walked into the temple. The temple had a vast open space that was as big as a small stadium. There were waterfalls nearby with plants and tall trees. There were lily pads, and flowers floating above them. The large lake waved at them when they walked by, making Akira smile, and giving her a little hope.

They walked on the path that led to the towering pillars. Once they arrived, they knelt out of respect and reverence and waited. The place lit up with glowing lights, giving it a blue hue.

“Hello,” a voice boomed.

Akira looked up. Leta looked at her and smiled, letting her know it was okay.

“Say hello Akira,” Leta said.

“Hello,” Akira said, shyly. The figure was blue, floating. The figure looked like them, but was less flesh like. Its hair was long, floating around them, and covered in a white garment.

“So, Akira,” the figure said, now smiling. “My name is Duska. I am so happy to meet you and grant you your special abilities that will bless you and our family.”

Akira bowed down in response. Duska smiled. Duska raised their arms in the air and the room began to spin. Akira began to float. Higher, and higher she rose. She looked down and saw her parents watching from below.

“Akira, may my powers bless you and give you the strength of the water, its gracefulness and beauty,” Duska said.

Duska’s powers flowed through Akira. It’s happening, she thought. Suddenly, there was a loud explosion. Without warning, Akira fell into the water below her. Her body hit with a loud thud, and then slowly floated to the surface.

“Akira!” Leta yelled. Leta pulled Akira out of the water and floated her towards the pillars. “Akira. Akira! Wake up!” she cried. Her body lay still. Lifeless. Argus came to Leta and Akira and pulled the water out of her lungs. What felt like minutes passed by. Nothing. Akira started to cough. Argus and Leta hugged Akira and checked to see if she was okay.

“What happened?” Argus asked.

Duska sighed. “It didn’t work,” they replied.

“What do you mean it didn’t work?” Argus asked, angry and confused.

“Watch your tone,” Duska’s voice boomed and echoed. “Things like this happen, Argus. But never like this. I am sorry,” Duska said and then disappeared.

Ten years later…

Akira was now 17-years-old. Still powerless, but she had stopped trying to prove herself to everyone in the village. Though her parents never resented her for her powerlessness (which she really appreciated), it seemed like everyone else did. Over the years, Akira trained hard. She wanted to be physically strong. She would punch trees, practice swimming, and work out constantly.

One day she decided to go to the temple to communicate with Duska. When she arrived, she heard what sounded like footsteps. “Hello,” she said as her voice echoed. “Who’s there?” she asked.

A large shadow appeared. She noticed that it had massive ears. Akira formed a stance ready to fight. The shadow moved forward.

“Juno! Juno! Where are you?” a voice said. Akira let go of the animal and got back into her fighting stance.

“Who is there? Just come forward and no one will get hurt,” Akira said. Her powerlessness meant nothing anymore.
A person appeared from the darkness.

“Look I do not want to fight. I’m just looking for my bunny duck. Well, not mine. Well, yeah, mine. Even though we can’t own an animal, he is my friend. I guess. Anyway, um his name is Juno. He’s brown, a little white, and yellow,” the boy said rambling. He was tallish. Average height, but taller than Akira. He had short brown hair tied back into a ponytail.

“Who are you?” Akira asked.

The boy was strange. He didn’t look like any of the other boys in the water village. Unlike the longhaired, blue-clad boys in the village, his hair was short, and his clothes were a rusty yellow. Yellow? He’s obviously from the lightning village. But why is he here? Akira thought.

“Um hi. Sorry I didn’t introduce myself. My name is Apollo. I’m from the lightning tribe.”

“Huh, so I was right,” Akira said interrupting him.

“What?” Apollo asked.

“Nothing. Continue.”

“My dad is the lightning family elder. So, uh that’s why I’m here.”

“That’s why you’re here. In the water village,” Akira said mocking him.

“Yes, and because of Juno. Have you seen him? He’s a bunny duck.”

“Yeah. Right over here,” Akira said.

Juno flew over to Apollo. “Um, thanks. I’ll leave now. You can get back to uh, whatever,” Apollo said walking backward and almost falling into the water. He left leaving Akira confused.

For the next couple of days, Akira continued to train and visit Duska. She even thought about Apollo since he was one of the few people who didn’t give her weird looks or treat her differently. Maybe because he didn’t know.

“Akira, it’s time to go to the temple,” Leta said.

Akira and her parents would go to the temple for their weekly prayers and communicate with Duska. When they arrived, they knelt and Duska appeared.

“Hello,” their voice boomed.

“Hello,” Leta said. Her voice started to crack, sounding like she was about to cry.

“My dear, what is it?” Duska asked. Argus looked at Leta and held her hand.

“I do not want to seem selfish. We are incredibly blessed to have Akira in our lives. We just think that you could try to grant Akira special abilities once more.” Leta said.

Akira looked at her mother. What the hell? Akira thought. Out of all the people, she didn’t expect her mother to ask for such a thing. The one person she thought would never judge her for her lack of abilities just did. In the worst possible way.

Duska sighed. They looked at Akira and saw that she was upset. “That is not up to me, Leta,” they said.

“Can I be excused?” Akira asked. Her face flushed red.

“Akira, we are not finished. You know…” Leta started.

“Yes, Akira,” Duska said, interrupting Leta. Akira got up and left.

Akira walked home from the temple, tears streaming down her face. She was completely over it. Angry at the village for not accepting her fully, angry at her mother and father, and somewhat angry at Duska. But mainly she was angry at herself. She didn’t understand why it had to be her. Out of all the people on this planet, why her? She obviously didn’t wish this upon anyone, but she was tired of feeling powerless. Akira punched a tree repeatedly. Blood dripped from her knuckles, down her arms.

“Akira,” a voice said behind her. It was Leta. “You need to relax. I need to talk to you and explain…” Leta started. She couldn’t finish her sentence.

“Explain what?” Akira asked, still punching the tree. “There’s. Not. Much. To. Explain,” she said, punching in between her words.

“Your father and I didn’t mean to hurt you. We just want what’s best for you,” Leta said. She walked forward to Akira.

Akira laughed. “Dad. Dad’s not even here. I mean he can barely even look at me.”

“Your father loves you. I love you. We just couldn’t stand to see you hurt anymore. The looks we got from the family, the times we heard you cry from bullying at school. We, I just thought that Duska could give it another try to give you power.

“Akira stop hurting yourself.”

Akira continued to punch the tree, denting it. “You know. You and dad didn’t even try to defend me,” she said as tears started to well up in her eyes once more.

“You care so much about what other people think. What my aunties and uncles think. What the teachers think. You never asked what I think or about how I feel.”

Leta began to cry. “No, Akira. That’s not true.”

Akira stopped punching. “Yes, it is!” She yelled. She looked at her bloodied hands. They started to shake, and she began to cry.

“Let me see,” Leta said trying to grab Akira’s hands. “I can fix it,” she said.

“No.”

Akira went to a water forest that was close to the temple. The forest had tall trees that shot into the sky, rocks, grass that flowed, a large waterfall, and animals.

Akira went to a lake and put her hands in the water. The water removed the blood and the cuts on her hands. After they were all gone, she got up and sat on a bench that was nearby. She yelled out in frustration and then sighed. She continued to sit, watching the sky jellyfish. They moved in the air gracefully.

“They are beautiful, right?” Apollo said, unintentionally scaring Akira.

“Dude. What the hell, man! You scared me,” Akira said.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. Can I sit?” He asked. Akira didn’t respond. So, he sat on the ground near her.

“Um, are you okay?”

“Yeah,” she sighed.

“I don’t mean to pry or be nosey, but what happened?”

“Ugh! Where do I start? I don’t have any special abilities, the whole village treats me like garbage, and my parents don’t accept me,” she said.

“Oh,” he replied, turning around. “Do you want to talk about it? I’m a good listener.”

“Nope. That’s fine. Why are you here?” she asked.

“I already told you. My dad is the lightning family elder.”

“Yeah, but why are you here? In the water village?” Akira pressed. Apollo looked undisturbed.

“I don’t know. It’s a cool place. It’s peaceful and quiet. Don’t get me wrong. The lightning village is great, but something about this place is just…I don’t know.”

“Yeah, this place is magical.”

Just as Akira said this, the forest began to shake. “Hey, hey, hey! What’s going on?” Apollo asked.

“I don’t know!”

The water splashed on Akira and Apollo. “Get away from the water,” Apollo said, grabbing Akira’s hand and pulling her away. Then he stopped.

“What?” Akira asked.

“Your eyes,” Apollo said.

“What the hell are you talking about man?”

“Your eyes are like really blue,” he said.

“Huh,” she replied.

Everything stopped shaking. Akira walked to the lake and looked at her reflection. Her eyes were glowing bright blue. She closed them and opened them again. They continued to glow.

“What the f-?” Akira said, stopping herself from cursing, especially since she was on temple grounds.

The water started to glow and sparkle like bioluminescent water. It was beautiful, but what was the cause?

Akira reached out to touch the water. The water moved away from her hand. What was happening?

Akira took a deep breath and tried again. She touched the water and she felt like it responded to her, or inviting her in. She dipped her left hand into the water grabbing some. With her right, she tried to move it. Nothing happened. She took another deep breath and tried again. This time she mimicked the way her mother would do it. In each direction, her hand moved the water followed.

“Woah,” Apollo said in amazement.

Akira smiled, continuing to move the water. She was now one with the water. Akira put the water back gently and turned to Apollo. “Hey, uh, thanks for listening,” she said.

“Anytime. And um, congrats on getting your powers. So, how does it feel? I was watching and that thing you did with the water was really cool.”

“Yeah. I watch my mother do this all the time. Minus the eyes glowing. Do you have any special abilities?” she asked.

“Yeah. Well, I can’t move water, but I can do this,” he put his pointer finger and thumb together, creating a small bolt. The bolt turned assorted colors. Red, then pink, green, purple, and blue.

“Woah!”

“Yeah. I don’t have a curfew or anything, but I do gotta go. I’ve been gone for a while now and my dad is probably looking for me,” Apollo said.

“Yeah, me too.”

“Hey, I never got your name.”

“It’s Akira,” she said.

“Akira,” he repeated. He reached over and poked her shoulder. It shocked her a bit. Akira laughed and Apollo left.

After giving it some thought, Akira went back home to talk to her parents. She wasn’t quite ready to tell them about her newfound abilities, but she was willing to communicate.

“Akira, you’re back. We were so worried,” Leta said, getting up from her chair hugging Akira.

Argus continued to sit down. “We need to talk. Sit down,” he said.

Akira sat down across from him. “Um, I’m sorry for walking out and for yelling at you mom,” Akira said, holding her head down.

Argus sighed. “Look, we didn’t want to hurt you. We just wanted to protect you. And I realize now that this wasn’t the way. I should’ve protected you and defended you. You’re my little girl and I let people treat you badly. This is one of my biggest regrets. I love you and from now on I will throw water on anyone who hurts you.”

Akira smiled and hugged her dad. “I love you too Dad.”

A few weeks went by, and Akira had been practicing using her abilities with Apollo in the water forest. She would go there every afternoon after classes when her parents would go to work in the village. She never understood how he was able to sneak in so easily all the time without anybody noticing, but she didn’t question it.

Little did Akira know, the water elder Achelous had been watching her. When Akira and Apollo first went to the forest temple he happened to be there. He saw everything. He felt the forest tremble. He too questioned why the lightning elder’s son was in the water village, and he saw Akira get her powers.

He was ecstatic. He saw that her powers were much more powerful than the others in the village, and he wanted to know more. He wanted to see her potential and know her limits. But mainly, he wanted to know how she could be an asset to him. Every day he’d watch her use her power in different ways, and every day his envy grew.

So, he invited her and her family to talk. He was excited when they arrived. “Welcome family,” he said with a large grin.

Akira and her parents smiled. Achelous didn’t exactly tell them why he wanted to meet, but out of respect, they didn’t decline.

“Sit. Sit,” Achelous’s wife Iris said. Achelous had already told Iris about Akira and how she is beneficial to them.

Akira and her parents sat down at the long table. Achelous sat down at the head of the table, as everyone sat around him.

“I invited you here to offer you, Akira, a proposition,” he started. “I have noticed that you have changed. For all these years you have had an absence of special abilities, but you are so strong, both spiritually and physically. I know that the power has flowed through you,” he continued. “We invited you here because we realize that we are very blessed to have you.”

Leta and Argus looked confused. They looked at each other than at Akira. “Sir, what are you talking about?” Argus asked.

Akira held her head down.

“Oh!” he responded. You didn’t know! Akira, how could you keep such a life-altering event from your parents?” Achelous faked a frown.

“Akira, what is he talking about?” Leta asked.

“What?” Argus yelled interrupting the silence. He was shocked. How could Akira get her powers so late? It didn’t make any sense.

“Yeah, I got them a few weeks ago. I didn’t know how to tell you,” Akira said.

“It’s okay,” Leta said hugging her. ” We are so happy for you,” Argus also rose to embrace his daughter.

“I don’t mean to interrupt this beautiful moment, but I do need to ask you something,” Achelous said.

The attention turned to him. He sighed, preparing for his act. “I haven’t told the village, but I am very ill.”

Leta gasped.

“I’m sorry,” Argus said.

“Yes. Well, that’s why I need Akira. I know that you haven’t seen her powers, but they are something out of this world. She has been practicing her water skills in the temple forest for weeks now. I gotta tell you, it’s something!”

Why don’t you tell them about the time I broke our vase while you’re at it? Akira thought.

“With her powers, she can help me get better,” Achelous said, while coughing and wheezing. It was all very dramatic.

Argus and Leta were skeptical. They know that with their powers they can heal body wounds by using water, but never internally problems. What would the process be? And what exactly could Akira do to “heal” this man?

Akira was also skeptical. The elder was totally fine for years, and his illness timed almost perfectly with when she got her powers. He had stalked her for weeks. She most definitely didn’t trust his motives. Although, if she helped him, she would also be helping the village. The village needs him. He’s makes many decisions for the community. He has helped the village thrive. She had a lot to consider.

“Respectfully, I would like to think on it,” Akira said.

“Okay! I can support that. I know this is a big decision to make. Just know that I don’t have a lot of time, and I really need you to help me. Akira, you are a bright, powerful, young woman. I know that you know which decision to make,” Achelous said.

The night after the meeting, she talked to Apollo in the forest and told him about her plan. Since Achelous had been watching her, she needed to find a new place to talk with him. She brought him some clothes so he could blend in with all the other boys in the village. She was going to talk to him at her house.

He agreed. He was confused about why they couldn’t just talk in the forest like they usually did. She told him that she would explain tomorrow.

“Meet me at the cave by the large black tree, in the forest north of the market!”

The next day Apollo went to the cave in the forest and waited for Akira to show him to her house.

“Okay let’s go,” Akira said when she arrived.

Apollo followed her. She was constantly looking around like someone was watching her. “You okay? I’m pretty sure nobody will see us, especially since I’m dressed in blue,” Apollo said, tugging at his tunic.

“Yeah, I’m not so sure,” she replied.

They arrived at her house and went to her backyard. They sat down on some chairs and faced each other. Akira sighed. “So, as you know a lot has happened over the past few weeks. And last night the water elder invited me over. He knows, Apollo,”

“He knows? Knows what?”

“The freaking obvious, Apollo! He knows that I have powers now and he happens to be ill.”

“And?” Apollo asked, puzzled.

“That’s not suspicious to you at all?”

“Oh, my. Right when you get your powers, he happens to be sick. Huh! Not suspicious at all.”

“Right! That’s what I thought. And you know what else? He’s been watching us. He knows we are meeting up in the forest and he’s been watching me practice using my powers. He told my parents that I’m like crazy powerful and I can help ‘heal him,’” she said holding up her hand in quotation marks.

“That’s weird. Did he explain how you would ‘heal him?'”

“No. That’s why I’m asking for a second opinion. Should I help him or not?”

“Um, I don’t know. Look, that’s up to you. But since you want my opinion, I wouldn’t. This is too sketchy. And you don’t have enough information on how this would work,” Apollo said.

Akira sighed. “Yeah, you’re right. I’ll tell him tomorrow. But thanks, though,”

“Yeah, no problem,” he said with a smile.

The next day, Akira went to the temple to tell Achelous that she couldn’t help him.

“Akira! Have you made your decision?” Achelous asks, obnoxiously coughing.

“Um, yes. With all due respect sir, I’m afraid I can’t help you. I don’t know how I can help you or what the process will be. …You understand right?” she said.

“Well, of course, I get it. This is new territory for both of us. You’re testing the waters. You wouldn’t want to lose your powers. And yes, let’s state the obvious; we aren’t very well acquainted.”

She stood, dumbfounded. Walking towards her, he went on, “But still, we both understand this, right? The spirit has a will to live. I want to live, Akira. I want life!”

“I understand, but…”, she stammered. Panicking, she looked towards the temple entrance. It would be a tough dash to escape. She looked back at him. They locked eyes.

“Enough!” he shrieked. The sickness façade melted. With a single leap, he closed the distance between them. With astonishing speed he appeared behind her, wrapped his arms around her neck, choking her. The world faded to darkness.

Apollo gasped as he watched it all unfold. Iris, Achelous’s wife, came to Akira and picked her up. She carried her out of the temple and put her on a flying elephant. The elephant was large with long white and blue wings.

Iris got on. “Let’s go home. Quick boy,” she said, tapping the large beast.

The elephant began to fly heading to Achelous’s home. Luckily, Apollo knew where Achelous’s home is. So, he went there.

Achelous’s home was huge. Apollo had to figure out where Iris put Akira. He snuck in and started searching. He searched every corner of the house and still couldn’t find her.

“What are you doing?” Iris said.

Apollo jumped. “Oh! Sorry, you scared me,” he said, laughing awkwardly.

“Why are you in my house?”

“Oh, right. So… you’re gonna laugh. This is so funny. Um, last time I was here, there was this like crazy party, right. And everyone’s having a good time, drinking, laughing, partying…

“Right. So, I was dancing you know, and I accidentally bumped into this girl. I spilled my drink all over her. Yeah, she was angry. I was like ‘Oh, my bad.’ I went to the bathroom and took my shirt off to let it dry, and I also took off my necklace. I’m pretty sure I left it in the bathroom. Can I please get it?” Apollo said with an awkward smile.

Iris looked at him with a blank face. “Sure. Follow me,”

Apollo followed Iris to one of the many bathrooms. There was a loud noise that came from above them.

“What was that?” Apollo asked.

“Um, nothing. Was this the bathroom?” she said purposely ignoring the sound above. It was Akira. Little brat. She’s probably awake.

“No… It was the one upstairs,” Apollo said. “I know where it is. So, I’ll just go up there and get it.”

“No! Um, no. Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell just this house is pretty big, and I wouldn’t want you to get lost. Plus, I have a lot of questions to ask you,” she said, following him upstairs.

Apollo walked slowly waiting to hear another noise. The loud noise came again. It was coming from one of the rooms on the right. I could have sworn I checked that room, he thought.

“I’m pretty sure it was in this bathroom,” he said pointing to the room on the right.

“Apollo, do you have any friends?” Iris asked, trying to distract him.

“What? I mean yeah, I have friends. But oh, look at the time. I really need to go, and I need that necklace. My mother gave it to me. You remember my mother, don’t you?” Apollo said, making a sad face. His mother did die three years ago but she never gave him a necklace.

“Yes, Elora was such a strong woman. I think about her often. I’m so sorry. Look, I’ll tell you what. You don’t want to go into that room. It’s a mess, but I will bring you your mother’s necklace,” she said, grabbing Apollo’s arm, dragging him out of the house. “Bye! Have a nice day. I’ll bring you the necklace. Okay?”

He went to the temple meeting room and waited outside.

“Meeting adjourned,” he heard the fire family elder say.

“I apologize. But I must leave a little early,” Achelous said. He walked toward the exit and stopped. He turned his head.

“Hello Apollo.”

“Hello elder,” Apollo responded, avoiding eye contact.

Achelous continued to stare at him and then left. Apollo walked into the meeting room.

“Apollo. What are you doing here?” his father, the lightning family elder, Evreux asked.

“I don’t mean to interrupt, but there is something I must tell you.

“What is it Apollo?” Evreux asked.

“Achelous can’t be trusted. He’s a liar; he’s greedy and he’s selfish.”

“Apollo! That’s quite a claim. Do you insist on embarrassing me each time you get? You want attention? You’ve got it. Tell us why he can’t be trusted,” Evreux said, sitting back with his arms crossed.

“Um. Like I said, he’s greedy and selfish. He and his wife are holding my friend, Akira, hostage. He kidnapped her. I watched it all go down.” His voice shook under his father’s gaze.

“Why must you lie, Apollo? Achelous has been the water family elder for almost 15 years. I know him. He is a well-respected man who cares about his people. So, why would he kidnap this friend of yours, especially if she is one of his own?” Evreux asked.

“Dad, there’s a lot to explain and we don’t have much time. We have to save her, and I need all of your help,” Apollo said, speaking to all of the elders.

“Apollo look, your dad’s right. Achelous would never do something like this. And through all these years working with him, he’s never mentioned an Akira,” the land elder interjected.

“Dad! Just listen to me. We don’t have time. We need to help her…”

“No! I am tired of you constantly making up stories and always making excuses. Do you know why I bring you to these meetings? Because you are the next lightning elder after me. My only son. But you are never here! You always want to run off into some forest. You obviously don’t care, so just leave,”

Apollo began to breathe heavily, becoming angry. “Fine. I’ll just do it myself,” he said. Then he left.

Apollo went back to Achelous’s house with new levels of determination. He was ready to free Akira and stop Achelous, no matter the cost. No one was going to treat his friend like this. No one! He hid behind some bushes and looked through the window. He saw that they were downstairs in the kitchen. So, all he needed to do was sneak in and go upstairs.

He went around to the backyard and looked through the window of the room that Akira should be in. There were tall pillars that supported the roof. Apollo climbed the pillar and sat himself on the top of the roof, almost falling in the process. He opened the window and went in.

He opened the bathroom door and searched there. No sign of Akira. He looked through the closet and even under the bed. No sign. Then, he heard a noise. He stopped and listened for footsteps hoping that Iris and Achelous wouldn’t come upstairs. He heard Iris laugh, so she didn’t hear it. The noise sounded like it was coming from the bookshelf. It was sort of like a muffled sound.

Apollo tried moving the bookshelf, then stopped, realizing that it would be too loud. Yet he knew most houses this big have a secret room. There was even one in his home. Apollo tilted the books, trying to see which one would open the secret room.

It felt like none of them worked. Then he looked down, seeing a large book with a water symbol. He tilted the book, and the shelf opens to reveal Akira. She was tied to a chair with a bag over her head. Her eyes widened. Her mouth was tied shut with thick rope.

Apollo removed the ropes from around her legs and arms. “Shh,” he said with his finger to his mouth. He then removed the rope from her mouth.

“Where am I?” Akira said, with a raspy throat. She’d been screaming and crying for hours. She sounded defeated.

Apollo helped Akira out of the window and down the pillars.

“Where do you think you’re going? I’m still very sick and I need you to help me,” Achelous said, startling
Akira and Apollo.

“Look man, you’re being awful and we need to leave,” Apollo said sarcastically.

“Today you will feel regret, boy!” Achelous shrieked, taking everyone off guard.

Achelous leapt from one side of the room to Apollo. With quickness, he waved his hand, and water appeared from fountains all around the house. The water hovered in the air, and then rushed into Apollo’s mouth, drowning him. He fell to his knees, trying his best to spit out the water, but it was of no use.

Akira tried to bend the water out, but with his other hand, Achelous took water from the bathroom sink and rushed it into her mouth as well.

She woke up to see lightning and thunder bolts surging around Apollo’s body. The shock electrified Achelous enough to make him fall to his knees in pain.

Apollo spat the water out, gasping for air. Standing slowly to his feet, he began to wail Achelous with punches and kicks.

Achelous, being the elder and much more experienced fighter, began to dodge the punches and give a few back of his own. Suddenly, he stopped looking like an old man and instead became a seasoned fighter. Apollo began to slow down, his body covered in blood and bruises. It could not be real. This was not happening. But it was. And it did.

Akira could not honestly say what took over her, but something awakened in her. Suddenly, a river flowed into the room, immediately drowning Iris. She pushed Apollo’s body to the roof. Then, with everything in her, she tried to cram all of the water into Achelous’s mouth. The look of fear in his eyes was addicting. However, she forgot about the machete he carried. She felt a sharp pain in her stomach.

With the last of her strength, she pushed it out and turned it onto his chest. With tears streaming down her face, she pressed her strength into the blade. Achelous collapsed. The water began to recede and she ran to the roof. Apollo’s body lay still. Lifeless.

“Apollo? Apollo, please answer me, please?”

Nothing.

This is all my fault, she thought. I could have been stronger. It should have been me. Why? Why? Please wake up! The thoughts flew in faster than she could understand them. Her head started to spin. There were no tears left to cry. A voice spoke.

“My child. What have you done?”

She looked up, startled. Duska’s form floated over to her. With a look of deep sadness and compassion in their eyes, Duska lifted their hand and closed Akira’s eyes. The world turned black.

When she opened her eyes, she was in the temple. To her left lay the body of Achelous. To the right was Apollo. “There is deep imbalance here that must be corrected,” Duska said, reverently. ”An evil life and a pure life cannot both die.”

Duska started to sing a lullaby. The sweet tune mesmerized Akira. Suddenly, a spiral of water appeared from the columns of the temple. The water wrapped Apollo’s body. He opened his eyes. A cough. Akira’s heart was overwhelmed with joy, but when she looked into Duska’s face, there was no joy.

With a sad voice, Duska said, “You two have been blessed and cursed. The Elders will not be happy to hear about this. You may even have to run for your lives. I cannot promise you safety, but you have each other, and you have love. Yes. Love. Don’t be afraid of it. Hold on to each other.

“And Apollo, you now have the power of Achelous as well as your lightning powers. There is goodness in your heart. Use it wisely. Akira, trust your heart.”

Then as fast as they appeared, Duska disappeared.

You may also like...