The Gyotos and the Tanakas

For centuries there has been a rivalry, a deep seeded hate between two families has lasted since the 1500s all the way until now, the year of 1746.

Honestly, nobody even knows why the families are rivals. The only rumor is that there was a betrayal of trust among the higher powers, breaking the bond between them. The two families I speak of are the Gyotos and Tanakas.

Their rivalry was made relevant in recent times because there is a new law that higher powers are attempting to pass, and these two families have very opposing views on the subject.

The law was meant to abolish the underground trade of Kampo medicines, taxing them so they could control their business. The Gyotos were furious with this, as the underground trade did no harm. It was just simple medicinal herbs meant to heal. The Tanakas, however, saw the profit they could make from monopolizing this trade and were more than happy to fight for this law to pass.

There was chaos in the high court. The higher powers had never been in such disagreement

“This is beyond psychotic! You are putting a risk to our economy and making medicines unavailable to the lowers in need!” Kono Gyoto shouted in court one day.

“You know nothing of the lowers in need!” Retorted the other man. “They will pay whatever price for the things they need.”

“Mr. Tanaka, you do not understand what I’m saying. The lowers simply do not have the means to buy such things. They acquire them through trading goods, not with the small pay they make.” said Kono.

“And with this change in the economy, I believe they will have better opportunities to make more coin,” Doku Tanaka stated.

“No matter the opportunities, it is still our responsibility to do what is best for the whole of our people. You want nothing but to control the market and make all of the coin for yourself!” Kono replied.

“How dare you accuse me of this!” Doku responded in an aggressive tone. “I wish nothing but what is best for the whole of us. I believe I can make these medicines openly available to anyone for a reasonable price.”

The two continued arguing, with interjections from the others at times.

Finally, it was decided that this was not simply an argument between the high powers, but a disagreement among families. Their rivalry was alive again. On sight of one another, there was immediate aggression; the families were at war.

This proceeded on until the day of the emperor’s decision. The emperor, getting tired of this bickering, stood.

“In this case of whether or not to pass the law, I have come to a decision,” his voice boomed over the court. “There are, in my opinion, as many pros as there are cons. I alone cannot come to a decision, and neither can you. So, it will be decided with the nobility and honor of your family.”

There was a deafening silence in the court as everyone waited for the verdict. The emperor slammed his cane down. “I call a duel between the Gyoto and Tanaka families.”

He returned to sit and all in the court bowed, accepting this response. The duel was to be held in a week. The families scowled at each other walking out surely hoping for victory in the bloodshed to come.

You may also like...